CHRISTIAN EDUCATION – September 2018
A Simple Prayer for School time – “Almighty God, We give you our school. We give you all the teachers and staff who work here. We give you all the children who study here. We pray our school would be a place of great discovery, adventure and creativity. May it be a place where we love to learn and where we can learn to love. A place where everyone is respected and all are deeply valued. We ask all this through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.”
PrayGround – If you’ve been in our Narthex, you’ve noticed a new area called the “PrayGround”. This area is designed for our young members to have a space to move and play quietly, while still being able to see and observe our worship service. The PrayGround has a table with coloring pages, books and other soft toys. We will continue to have the PrayGround available as a welcoming feature to our congregation, families and visitors.
Fall Fair – Sunday, Sept 16 will be the kickoff for our programming year! The Kona Ice truck will be part of our celebration, so plan to join us and enjoy the Hawaiian Ice! We’ll have hotdogs, chips and beverages. Bring a dish to share and a friend to share in the festivities!
Confirmation Class – during the Fall Fair the pastors will gather with all interested students and parents in grades 7 and up to discuss plans for the new Confirmation Class which will be held this program year. We’ll find a table where we can look at the upcoming schedule and decide on details for the coming year. The goal is to have the students be confirmed on Palm Sunday, April 14th. For more information, please contact the pastors.
We Meet! – Please join us on Wednesdays for We Meet dinner at 6:00 p.m.! We will gather every Wednesday (unless notified) to meet and share in each other’s fellowship . Please indicate that you will be attending this week by writing a “W” next to your name in the Friendship Pad. This will aid our cooks in preparing the correct amount of food.
Happy Mail – We’ll be working on Wednesday nights (before and after our We Meet fellowship time) to continue our card ministry. Please join us at 5:30 to make a few simple cards! We like to send them out to our church friends to give them a smile.
VBS – We had such a great time at VBS in August! We learned about friends, and how God sends us friends to help us. Ask the kids about the story of the paralyzed man who was lowered through the roof! (pictures below)….
Sacred Space at Home
Practicing faith at home is an important gift that families give one another. Bedtime prayers, mealtime blessings, in-the-car and on-the-go prayers, simple songs, and Bible stories are common things to do together. Although they may seem awkward at first, they will grow to become significant points of conversation and reflection for everyone involved.
• Set a time and place for these sacred conversations: around the breakfast or dinner table, on the way to school, at bedtime. Take 2 minutes. Set a timer so everyone knows the end.
• Put something in the space to remind everyone what you will do there: a cross, a Bible, a hymnal, a flower or leaf or other small piece of the outdoors, or paint or color a picture together.
• Ask family members what they want to include in the time. A scripture verse or story? The same prayer every day (perhaps the Lord’s Prayer) or spontaneous prayers that each person can say?
Try one of these models:
1) Remember your day. Remember the people and places you saw, and the things you did.
2) Notice the gifts. Notice the moments of love and grace and goodness. Give thanks to God.
3) Notice the hard times. What wrong did you do? When did you sin by not doing enough?
4) Look to tomorrow. Ask for God’s grace tomorrow, and pray for God’s help in all that you think and do.
Daily Hi/Lo Prayers
1) Share your day’s highs (highlights, best, favorite moments) and lows (sad, hard moments).
2) Read a Bible verse or story.
3) Discuss how the Bible reading relates to your highs and lows. Where was God in the story? Where was God in your day?
4) Pray for one another’s highs and lows.